Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's been a minute...

Whew...February was a whirl wind of month. I can not believe it is really March 1st. I wanted to post a few pictures of the finished chair and wainscoting projects. Both were MONSTERS!!! I absolutely love how each turned out and wouldn't trade a moment of the time, anguish, and frustrations that went into both projects.

The Chair...



I really believe the number one factor to consider when reupholstering furniture is the shape of the piece. Curves are particularly hard to deal with. If you are considering an upholstery project I suggest trying straight armed pieces first. Practice with clearance fabrics in similar textures and weights. There is nothing worse that spending money on fabric and not coming away with a perfect piece.


Wainscoting...




I have the great fortune of having two men at my disposal for my "heavy" projects. The beauty of this paneling is, that it wasn't heavy. Since we decided to utilize a lightweight and inexpensive fiber board for our base paneling for this project, we were able to splurge a bit on our upper and lower trim moldings. We ripped 1/4 in. birch paneling for our uprights. After a good primer coat, we lightly sanded all surfaces and applied two good coats of gloss paint. As you can tell, this treatment is a little over half the height of the wall. Remember to carefully measure for your electrical outlets. Measuring mishaps and hasty cutting can lead to disaster!

Happy March!
Shannon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking good..
Florida gator forum

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for the delay in response! Thank you very much for your comment, it is a labor of love!